Monday, January 24, 2011

In a Nutshell....



A couple of years ago I was doing a radio interview to promote an upcoming event and I felt it went really well. I recall mentioning the event time and date, the sponsors, and some of the exciting speakers in the lineup. I was pretty pleased. In fact, I asked the program director to email me the radio clip so I could listen to it again.

When I returned to my office I was excited to see the morning radio clip waiting for me in my email inbox.

So I listened to it. And I listened to it again. Then I began to laugh. I laughed a lot. You see, I had used the phrase, “In a nutshell” about 14 times throughout the radio interview. It was hilarious and I discovered that not only did I love to say, “In a nutshell”, but that “awesome” is also a word that I enjoy………a lot!

So I set out on a journey of self discovery and “discovered” that I have a love for idioms. I use them all the time. “In a nutshell” was just a drop in the bucket of my repertoire of idioms. Without a doubt and make no bones about it…I hit the nail on the head with this one.

But, you know there is no use crying over spilled milk and I needed to find a way to improve my use of the English language. It wouldn’t be a piece of cake, but practice makes perfect and if I hit the books, I just might get better.

Do any of you suffer from “idiom” overuse? Did I hit the nail on the head with this blog post? Let me know how you kicked the habit!

No comments: