Monday, September 27, 2010

How I spent my weekend....















On Saturday I woke up nice and early (check out the pic of my sunrise :)) so that I could head over to my mom's where she was going to instruct me on the art of canning meat.

Why was I going to do this? Well, for a couple of reasons. We are fortunate to live in a part of the world where we can actually go out and literally bring home the....elk which my husband and son had done and secondly, by canning some of the meat it creates another great way to enjoy it.

So....as I was saying, my mom was going to assist me with this venture as she does whenever I attempt to preserve something (the pressure cooker terrifies me). I had 50 pounds of lean elk meat, cut up into stew size chunks. We proceeded to sterilize jars, lids and seals. The meat loses flavour while processing so we browned up each batch on the stove adding roasted garlic, pearl onions, cracked black pepper and salt. The house smelled heavenly!

It was such a lovely day, spending time with my mom, creating something that we all were going to enjoy all year.

Many, many hours later we had 29 jars of elk meat done. What can you do with this antibiotic free, hormone free creation? Well, I can make stew with it, I can serve it with pasta or rice, I can make a blue ribbon worthy pot pie.....

It was alot of work, but eating local is alot of work.....but totally worth it :)

J

No comments: