Wednesday, March 14, 2012

It's Not You...It's Me


Breaking up is hard to do, especially if you still have to live in the same house, see each other every day……

No…I didn’t break up with anyone, I am still happily married. But! I am using another damn metaphor though, so if you are sick of my use of the #damnmetaphor, STOP NOW!

I was speaking with a colleague the other day who mentioned that her company was no longer supporting her sustainability initiatives. I can imagine it was a little like, “It’s not you, it’s me”. Basically, they broke up with her.

I visualize wind leaking from a sail. How could you still go to work and do your job everyday, knowing that the organization that you worked for, didn’t value sustainability?

How could you do your job to the “best of your ability”, if they have discounted or dismissed one of your “best” abilities.

Wowzers…..I wondered what I would do if that happened to me.

As an independent Green Meeting Planner, I have the luxury of working with clients who are keen on green meetings. I have a sense of autonomy and for that, I am grateful.

Sustainability shouldn’t be something we hide in the locked top drawer of our desk.

In our world where we face a diminishing water supply and natural resources, I cannot fathom why an organization could not, would not see that it is critically important to think and act sustainably.

Judy

No comments: