Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Where have all the fish gone?

Sometimes when people find out I am an "eco or green" event planner they say, "oh, you must be an environmentalist". I usually respond with, "no, I am a realist". I am a realist when it comes to where our world is heading if we don't do our part. So, when I signed onto my twitter account and there was a tweet from Ellen Degeneres (yes, I follow Ellen Degeneres....she makes me smile) and she was mentioning a film titled, "The End of the Line" about overfishing, I was intrigued. I immediately opened another browser window and googled "The End of the Line". I watched the trailer and was "hooked".

This film is a documentary about the devastating effect of overfishing. The website stated that scientists are predicting that if we continue fishing as we are now, we will see the end of most seafood by 2048.

Normally, I won't recommend watching something with the word "end" in the title, because I want people to feel motivated, not paralyzed by fear. In the case of this movie, I think we all should watch it. Knowledge is power and if we know how to distinguish sustainable seafood at restaurants and our grocery stores, we will have the power to make a difference and ensure that our oceans remain alive.

Event planners out there!!! Remember to check out these guides when planning menu's for your events. Never underestimate your sphere of influence and how you can influence change.




J

No comments: